Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pre Read Week 2


-I would define race as a persons’ physical appearance and their geographical background.

-Some racial classifications used in the United States are Asians, Asian Americans, Mexicans, Mexican-American, African American, white American, and others. I would say that when any person characterizes someone else based on what their appearance is or where their ancestors are from they are classifying a race.

-I think that in recent years people have tried to stray away from grouping people into “race” categories, but what is still used to separate people into different races is based off of a few common characteristics that a group of people will share. These characteristics are among the likes of what color a persons skin is, what country they are originally from and if they’re from the U.S., they might be characterized based on what country some of their ancestors are from. Some people may even use the primary language that a person speaks to group them into a race. I think that the way people define race or group people into races is continually changing.

-I think that there’s always some kind of underlying racial categorization occurring in societies, no matter the geographical location. I think that over the years it’s become difficult to stray away from characterizing a person on their appearance no matter how evolved the world has become. I do believe however, that there are some places that don’t act out or let what their initial reaction to a new face might provoke.

-I haven’t done much traveling but there are two places that I can remember that I feel did have different systems of classifications. The places I’m referencing are Italy and Canada, where I felt people weren’t so much characterized by their appearance but their accent. I

-Race and ethnicity are similar in certain respects, but I think where there’s a major difference is how people are defined by their skin color (race) and by their religion, belief system, or ancestral origination (ethnicity).

-I can’t say how I would characterize my ethnicity because I don’t follow a specific religion or cultural tradition. I do celebrate Christmas, but I think now of days it’s more difficult to characterize someone based on certain holidays they celebrates, especially since some holidays have become so commercialized. If I had to define my race I guess it would be white. I don’t’ strongly associate myself with being more Irish, Scottish, English, or Italian so; I can’t say that any one of those are more my race than another, when they are simply just a part of my ethnicity.


-I have been commonly mistaken for someone of Mexican or Latin decent, based upon my hair and eye color because, both my hair and eyes are brown and that’s a common physical characteristic of someone who is of Mexican and or Latin decent. I also have a cousin who is half Mexican who bares a closer resemblance to me than my own sisters, who are blonde and blue eyed. It’s become common for people to use physical characteristics to claim someone is a certain race, I suppose since the Mexican American may be more common than the Italian American both cultures having plenty brown hair and brown eyed women, you get lumped into one, that one being the what people see most. 

Word Count-552

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gabriella,
    Welcome to the class, it was nice meeting you today. Your analysis of what race is definitely seems to hint at what the readings will say- it will be interesting to see what may have changed, or didn't change after you read them. I found one of your comments very interesting, you say " people have strayed away from grouping people in racial categories" and that people still do group them no matter how 'evolved they have become'. I think these comments are hitting on something very interesting (and I have hint they will come in handy when we begin to talk about colorblind racism in a few weeks). What do you believe the consequences are of grouping people into racial categories? What are some of the positive or negative outcomes of doing this?
    I also appreciate how you clearly illustrated that people use physical characteristics to define race and they 'lump' you into a category that is most familiar to them. This observation is critical to understanding race in the United States.
    --eas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that when people group people into a racial they have already developed a bias and if given the opportunity to meet these people you enter into the relationship with preconceived notions about them. You wouldn't be as openminded about the things they say. You automatically draw conclusions about the personality or actions and connect it to their race. You make a lot of assumptions about people when you group them into a race category. I don't know if there are any positives to grouping people together by their race. I guess if you're white than a lot of the time you are seen as inferior.And I guess sometimes certain races are assumed to be better at a sport than other races. Other than that I can't think of any. People are denied certain opportunities all the time because of their race. For instance if someone were just submitting an application to a law firm, someone named Gregory Smith would likely have a higher chance of being hired than Gorgeous Jones. People would automatically attach stereotypes to those names and make a predetermined decision without even meeting either of them.

      Delete